Related Articles

6 users responded in this post

Subscribe to this post comment rss or trackback url
User Gravatar
ufp0275 said in January 25th, 2004 at 8:48 am

Hello,

I’m just a random “user” who stopped by, and read a few of your entries. I was curious about your job search, specifically, with this interview.

I think myself to be an aspiring net tech, and I was looking for tips. Anything you’d recommend?

One of the reasons I ask, is that I just submitted my resume to a few places which most likely will have me travel either within the US, or abroad.

So again, I’m just curious about any feedback you’d be willing to give an aspiring techie. ๐Ÿ™‚

Talk to you soon.

P.S. The company I’ve applied for is advertising a min of 34k, so I’m especially interested in getting any opportunities they might have. Hope that’s ok. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚

User Gravatar
dante8 said in January 25th, 2004 at 4:14 pm

Well, the best advice I can give is to be yourself at interviews. The general consensus that I get is that if you’re putting on an act or you don’t really know what you’re talking about, the employers are not happy to find this out weeks after you start. Also, it’s OK if you don’t know something or you don’t have a certain skill, so long as you are willing to learn for the position. Employers can’t expect you know everything.

I would definitely make sure any job that requires travel covers the travel expenses, as well as a per diem amount for every day that you are travelling. That will cover food, cabs, beer, whatever. You also need to consider that taking a job that requires travel should compensate you adaquately for the amount of time it keeps you from family, etc. In short, they should pay you a little more than the average techie that lives around the location of the job. If not, they’re using you to be their national errand-boy (or girl) with no regard to your quality of life.

That’s really about all I can think of, and I am no expert at this. I just happened to get an interview with a company that wanted a travelling person, and researched it online (mostly using Google). Go for that job if it’s what you want, best of luck to you, and feel free to stick around and read the ol’ blog, it’s good to have a non-local audience.

User Gravatar
ufp0275 said in January 25th, 2004 at 5:23 pm

Great advice, thanks much. I certainly try to be myself, and I’m ok to admit I don’t know something. I only hope my education / training they are able to distinguish I’m quite happy to learn new things.

I have an inside friend who works for this company (ballys.com actually) and she says they do all of that; sometimes even international travel. I’d be very excited to take on a position like that. Especially at that amounts of money; I’m ok with all of that. I can definately see why you said no; they were paying for less than a local techie, but were asking for so much more. I’d thumbs down them too.

Were there any certifications you’ve taken which they seemed to like more than others? Or did you provide a combo of education and prior experience? Just generally curious; I’m currently building up CompTIA certifications, but I’m not totally convinced they are having that positive of an impact. Hmph.

Thanks for the invite; I’ve got you bookmarked at work. I’d be happy to hang around if that’s kewl. I might even speak up once in a while. ๐Ÿ™‚

Appreciate the feedback yet again. Hope to hear from you again.

-Curtis

User Gravatar
dante8 said in January 25th, 2004 at 5:49 pm

No problem bud, glad to have ya.

As far as certifications go, I pretty much rely on my Masters Degree that I just got. I didn’t have the time or impetus to pursue any of the professional certifications while I was finishing my schooling. You can never go wrong with Cisco, Red Hat, or Sun certification. Microsoft certification also looks good on a resume… I’ve been running into more and more places asking for .NET certified developers.

Heck man, it sounds like you’re on the right track! If you can get a job at Ballys, go for it and keep me in mind! ๐Ÿ™‚

User Gravatar
ufp0275 said in January 30th, 2004 at 6:16 am

Great. Well I don’t have those, but I do have several CompTIA certs. I’m going for the tougher of the bunch in a few weeks–Security+. Woot.

Appreciate the feedback. Will stop by now and then. ๐Ÿ™‚